Sunday 22 July 2018

407. Berlin hacks.

After all the paperwork, house viewings and stress, I finally secured an apartment!
Amen, I must have gone to about 30 odd viewings.
With getting a new apartment also comes a 3 month deposit, plus the current rent you have to pay. So your pretty fucking broke and need to buy all this god damn furniture.

However if your as frugal/thrifty as myself you can do it pretty cheap.

I was lucky enough to get a reimbursement from my job however this nowhere near even covered the cost of me moving my shit from one country to another.

And who wants to lug an ikea sofa from the UK to Berlin anyways?

So here's what I did:

Ebaykleinenzeigen will be your best friend.
In Berlin they are massive on upcycling, re-using and recycling. So you'll find so much stuff on ebay. Now this ebay is more like a gumtree/freecycle. You can find anything and everything on there.
I bought half my furniture on there!

I got the below sofa for 29euros!

Poof Free
Chairs 15euro
Balcony furniture 15 euro
Lamp shade free

Set alerts on your phone, for when new stuff crops up. Make sure you check the free section, you never know what you might find!

Free your stuff berlin, facebook group.
Here people are giving away their stuff they want to get rid of for free, or simply post a picture of when people dump stuff on the street (you'll find this a lot in Berlin).
Be quick though, as bits get nabbed up super quick!

We got our desk and kitchen unit with the help of the group!

Buy and Sell Berlin, facebook group.
This is another facebook group, but this is where you have to pay. You can find some great bargains. I got some essentials with the help of this group.

Washing machine for 50euros
Fridge 60euros
Kallax 20 euros

Mauerpark flea market for random bits and bobs
Every Sunday in Mauerpark is a flea market which sells random bric-a-brac shit. There's always a lot of glassware and a lot of weird random shit. But you have to work for it and rifle through the card boxes of it all



No comments:

Post a Comment